The guarding and control requirements for all mezzanine scissors lift platforms are outlined in ANSI 29.1:2012 and it should be noted that this code has been approved for inclusion in the next printing of the “International Building Code” which is scheduled for 2015 Copies of the ANSI code can be purchased from the Material Handling Institute firstname.lastname@example.org under the heading of publications.
TYPICAL INDUSTRIAL MEZZANINE LIFT INSTALLATION
REQUIREMENTS FOR RIDER/OPERATOR MEZZANINE LIFTS
- 1. Lift control is a constant pressure push button with a 20 foot coil cord mounted on the platform which allows the rider/operator to be in constant control of vertical movement. Automatic (send/call) systems are not allowed with riders.
- 2. The 42″ high guard rail gate on the mezzanine table and all enclosure doors are interlocked so that they can not be opened unless the lift is present and any open door or gate prevents lift movement.
- 3. The 42” high guard rails with mid rails and 4” toe boards mounted on the mezzanine platform are equipped with vertical folding gates for access and the gates are electrically interlocked so they must be closed to allow lift movement.
- 4. The face of the mezzanine adjacent to the lift must be covered with a smooth surface from ground to top of guard rail to eliminate shear points. Windows and or interlocked doors are optional.
- 5. The pit is enclosed on all sides not against a wall or smooth facia, with a mesh enclosure that extends upward to the top of the guard rail on the fully raised lift. Lower level access gates on the enclosure shall be interlocked so that they cannot be opened unless the lift is present and open gate will prevent lift movement.
Preproduction layout drawings will be available after receipt of order for preapproval by local authorities and we are pleased to assist in the code review process.